Light Spear (閃空裂破 Senkuureppa / Senkuuretsuha, "Flash Empty Fissure Destruction" or "Flashing Air Rending Blast") is a classic technique in the Tales series.
Arte Description and HistoryEdit
This arte has appeared several times throughout the series, but it has had many variations in both effect and appearance. In addition to these frequent changes, the arte itself has had a pronunciation change in the original Japanese reading of the kanji name. In the original release of Tales of Phantasia for the Super Famicom, this arte is voiced as "Senkuuretsuha", but all later games and ports use the standardized reading of "Senkuureppa". Both forms are written the same way in Japanese text.
In all versions of Tales of Phantasia, Cress Albane lifts the enemy with an upward slash, calling forth a blast of fire in front of him as he follows through by spinning around once, finishing with a powerful thrust. The Game Boy Advance port of the game replaces the blast of fire with a blast of light, changing the elemental property of the arte, but the execution of movement is identical to the other versions.
In the original Tales of Destiny, Stahn Aileron's weapon becomes a long spear of light, which he thrusts at the enemy several times, raising his weapon to a higher angle with every strike to push the enemy upward. In the remakes of the game, the arte allows Stahn to spiral upward and around the enemy, followed by a downward strike onto the ground, which causes light to shoot upward at the enemy. However, Stahn also obtains the new arte Senkoureppa, which is identical to his version of Senkuureppa from the original game, in which he performs the same rising thrusts to the target with a spear of light.
In Tales of Eternia, Reid Hershel performs a horizontal spin that leaves a spiraling trail of light from his weapon while he jumps into the air. He follows through with a strong downward thrust into the ground at an angle, causing the battlefield to shake upon contact with the ground. This pattern of movement is now the current standard for the arte since similar actions are used for this attack and its more powerful forms in most later games. On the other hand, during the exhibition battle at the Inferia Coliseum, Cress retains the original motions of his version of the arte, localized as Spiral Destruction to emphasize the difference between the attacks while keeping the name similarity. Additionally, if Reid uses this arte at the precise moment that the Cyclone spell is cast, both artes combine to form Earth Divide, one of four Team Skills that combine artes from two characters into one powerful elemental arte.
In Tales of Symphonia, the first game to give this arte its current localized name, the arte is executed with the same movements used in Tales of Eternia. In addition to this, exclusive to the PlayStation 2 port of the game, a Wind-elemental property can be added to Zelos Wilder's attack through the use of the "Opal" accessory, the Sylva Seal: Wind arte, a Wind-elemental weapon, or the "Green Quartz" item, to replace Light Spear with the more powerful Wind-based arte Severing Wind, if Light Spear has been used over 200 times. This elemental variant can be used only by Zelos, despite the nearly identical moveset he shares with Kratos Aurion. This new arte does not appear in the GameCube version of the game.
In both Tales of Xillia games, Alvin's version of the arte is localized as Tornado Drive, despite its lack of standout traits aside from its ability to be charged into Victory Light Spear, likewise renamed as Cyclone Drive. Ivar, however, maintains Light Spear's original name.
- Tales of Phantasia (SFC) - Cress Albane
- Tales of Phantasia (PSX / iOS) + Full Voice Edition - Cress Albane (Light Spear)
- Tales of Phantasia (GBA) + Mobile - Cress Albane (Light Spear)
- Tales of Phantasia: Cross Edition - Cress Albane
- Tales of Destiny (PSX) - Stahn Aileron (Light Spear)
- Tales of Destiny (PS2) + Director's Cut - Stahn Aileron
- Tales of Eternia - Reid Hershel (Spiral Attack); Cress Albane (Spiral Destruction)
- Tales of Symphonia - Kratos Aurion, Zelos Wilder (Light Spear)
- Tales of Innocence - Spada Belforma
- Tales of Innocence R - Spada Belforma
- Tales of Vesperia - Repede, Zagi, Radiant Winged One, Traitor to Heaven (Light Spear)
- Tales of Xillia - Alvin (Tornado Drive); Ivar (Light Spear)
- Tales of Xillia 2 - Alvin (Tornado Drive); Ivar (Light Spear)
- Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon - Kengou costume
- Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X - Cress Albane
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 2 - Seikenshi, Kengou costume, Cress Albane
- Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3 - Swordsman costume, Cress Albane, Kratos Aurion
- Tales of Eternia Online - Swordsman class
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology - Swordsman class, Magic Knight class, Stahn Aileron, Reid Hershel, Kratos Aurion (Light Spear)
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2 - Swordsman class, Magic Knight class, Twinsword class, Cress Albane, Stahn Aileron, Reid Hershel, Kratos Aurion, Zelos Wilder, Spada Belforma
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3 - Swordsman class, Magic Knight class, Twinsword class, Cress Albane, Stahn Aileron, Reid Hershel, Kratos Aurion, Zelos Wilder, Spada Belforma
- Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World - Zelos Wilder (Light Spear)
- Tales of VS. - Cress Albane, Stahn Aileron, Kratos Aurion
- Tales of the Heroes: Twin Brave - Cress Albane
- Tales of Mobile: Tales of Breaker - Mika
- Tales of Eternia: The Animation - Reid Hershel
- Viva - Tales Of! - Zelos Wilder
- Tales of Wall Breaker - Cress Albane